The 5 Ways to Wellbeing
What are the 5 Ways to Wellbeing ?
'The 5 Ways to Wellbeing' campaign was designed in order to raise awareness about simple strategies that everyone can adopt for improving our overall mental health and wellbeing.
1. Connect… With the people around you. With family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. At home, work, school or in your local community. Think of these as the cornerstones of your life and invest time in developing them. Building these connections will support and enrich you every day.
2. Be active… Go for a walk or run. Step outside. Cycle. Play a game. Garden. Dance. Exercising makes you feel good. Most importantly, discover a physical activity you enjoy and that suits your level of mobility and fitness.
3. Take notice… Be curious. Catch sight of the beautiful. Remark on the unusual. Notice the changing seasons. Savour the moment, whether you are walking to work, eating lunch or talking to friends. Be aware of the world around you and what you are feeling. Reflecting on your experiences will help you appreciate what matters to you.
4. Keep learning… Try something new. Rediscover an old interest. Sign up for that course. Take on a different responsibility at work. Fix a bike. Learn to play an instrument or how to cook your favourite food. Set a challenge you enjoy achieving. Learning new things will make you more confident as well as being fun.
5. Give … Do something nice for a friend, or a stranger. Thank someone. Smile. Volunteer your time. Join a community group. Look out, as well as in. Seeing yourself, and your happiness, as linked to the wider community can be incredibly rewarding and creates connections with the people around you.
Foresight Mental Capital and Wellbeing Project (2008). Final Project report. The Government Office for Science, London.
5 ways to Wellbeing Artwork by Ava
MIND - The 5 Ways to Wellbeing video
'5 Ways to Feel Good' - Stockport's initiative
The 5 Ways to Feel Good are activities that have been scientifically proven to boost your mood. Making sure they’re part of your weekly routine can help you to feel brighter and get more out of life. It doesn’t have to cost a penny!
The wellbeing links below (please click on each option) have information and inspiration on each of the 5 and a range of activities across Stockport that you could join.
It might be worth considering which of the 5 you do least of. Why not challenge yourself to make it part of your weekly routine, or invite friends and family to get involved too?