Extreme heat warning
There is a Red Warning of extreme heat for Stockport on Monday 18th and Tuesday 19th July.
Following government guidance, we have put the following plan in place:
- To make it easier for students to wear the recommended loose, light-coloured clothing to keep cool, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will be non-uniform days. Please encourage your child to dress for the weather and to leave coats, hoodies etc at home. Hats with wide brims are also recommended to avoid sunburn.
- Government guidance states that some children and young people with complex medical needs and chronic conditions are potentially at a higher risk during periods of extreme heat. If your child falls into this category, you may prefer to keep them at home on Monday and Tuesday. If this is the case, then please phone school on Monday morning to let us know.
- There will be no outdoor PE lessons on Monday or Tuesday and Tuesday's planned sports day for Years 9 and 10 has been cancelled.
- Indoor spaces will be available for students to relax in, at break and lunchtime.
- A small number of classrooms have air conditioning and we will move pupils to these whenever possible.
- Students will be encouraged to drink plenty of fluids. We have water dispensers in most classrooms, but it would also be a good idea for your child to bring in their own bottle of water or juice.
- The Year 9 cinema trip on Monday morning will go ahead as this is only a short journey and the cinema is air-conditioned.
- The Year 7 trip to Gulliver's World on Tuesday has been cancelled. Payments will, of course, be refunded for this.
- Wednesday's forecast is for cooler weather, so we are not currently making any changes to Rewards Morning activities. We will update you if this situation changes.
Detailed government guidance on keeping safe in extreme heat can be found here:Beat the heat